A warm shower is essential. A tankless water heater makes this all possible. Everything from Laundry to showering is made quick and efficient through tankless water heaters. Many issues that arise like bad wiring requires help from a trained electrical technician. Tankless water heaters come in point-of-use styles like a coffee pot plumbed into the water system. As with all appliances they break down with time. Water Heater Repair can be done by yourself. This article will show you how to fix common water heater issues without hiring a plumber. Water heater issues happen all the time. Everyone likes a warm shower. When you turn on a hot water faucet and it fails to summon hot water. This can be very disheartening.
What does a water heater consist of ?
The storage tank water heater is the most common and versatile water heater storage type. They consist of an insulated tank that both heats and stores the water until needed. Electric, liquid propane (LP), natural gas, and even solar fuel sources manufacture storage tank water heaters. The amount of people in your household determines the size of your tank.Tank water heaters have a storage tank of several gallons of water.
Tankless water heaters don’t store hot water. It just has hot water standing in the unit. The heat exchanger heats the water as needed by the homeowner.
Both of the above types of water heaters use same 8 components. Dip tube,Shut off valve. Heat out pipe,Thermostat, Heat Exchanger,Drain Valve, pressure valve,and Anode Rod. The drain valve is vital in flushing your water heater. The Thermostat is like the main thermostat in your home to get the desired water temperature. Dip Tube is a long tube designed to divert the incoming fresh water to the bottom of the tank where it is heated. If you want quick access to warm water this tube must be functioning. Shut off valve is a part of the water heater to shut off the water heater in case of emergency. The anode rod is a handy tool against tank corrosion. Pressure Valve is to regulate pressure in the tank. Heating elements is the main part that heats up the water.
Water Heater Maintenance
Water Heaters need to be maintained to ensure longevity.You should flush your water heater every year.
Tankless Water Heater Maintenance Checklist
- Turn off the water inlet and outlet valves on the water heater.
- Turn off the power supply or gas to water heater.
- Check the pressure valve.
- Check the Anode Rod.
- Drain the Tank.
- Adjust the temperature.
- Insulate the pipes.
- Insulate the heater.
- Run clean water through the water heater.
- Turn the water and power back on.
Common water heater issues and what you can do to fix them. Try these tips before calling a technician.
No Hot Water
- Check both the power source and water supply to see if both are connected .
- Check to see if the shut-off valves are open and that water flows at the minimum flow rate to activate the switch.
Water Is Too Hot
- The unit temperature should be to 120 to 125 degrees. This is the recommended temperature for safety. If you have medical issues a lower temperature is more beneficial for your health .
- Clean the filters.
- Reposition the temperature sensor .
- Flush your water heater as we described in the steps above .
Heating Element Is Not Working
- First turn off the power at the control panel or breaker box.
- Cover the circuit breaker with masking tape.
- Check the circuit with a voltmeter .
- Open one hot water tap .
- Drain the hot water heater into a bucket. Depending on the manufacturer’s instructions it may differ for your unit.
- Remove the wires at the top of the heating element with a screwdriver.
- Remove the old heating element.
- Seat a new O-ring and then the new heating element.
- Replace the wires on top.
- Make sure the drain plug is replaced and the cover is tight.
- Turn on the water supply.
- Fill the water heater
- Check for leaks.
- Turn the power back on.
Having a Pride home warranty can get you a covered water heater repair hassle free. Call us for more information at 1855-774-3388 or GET A FREE QUOTE